Staying Smart at the Sales

Staying Smart at the Sales

Shopping the post-holiday sales is a tricky affair!

Since Christmas Eve, my mailbox has been pounded by the big fashion brands; “Don’t miss out!“, “50% off starts today!“, “Biggest Sale EVER“, “Get it whilst you can!“.  The pressure to spend all that Christmas money in the first three days of having it is immense.  We are bombarded with the sales.   I’ve even received text messages from brands, promising a present just for me! And definitely not for the 20,000 other subscribers they’ve no doubt contacted with the exact same offer.

If you can’t tell, I’m a little fed up with the sales.   Last holiday season I bought one item in the Christmas sales, a floral jumpsuit that was beyond my bank balance on first seeing it.  I had saved the jumpsuit to my basket before hand and was simply waiting, hoping, praying, for a discount.    This year is not much different, there is very little I need right now and I’m trying to be less frivolous.   In fact, I think there is a good chance I won’t shop the sales at all this year; well, unless the EasyJet sale count because who can resist £30 flights to Stockholm?   Hello June holiday!

But I’m not a complete Grinch.   I understand for many the holiday sales are a time of utter delight; where you can scoop up those much needed items for the year at a fraction of the original price.   And for that reason, the sales are great! Its just important to not get carried away – I mean, do you really need another sequin-laden dress that will sit in the back of your wardrobe, only to be stroked occasionally?    Instead, I have some tips that will help you to navigate the sales and get what you need getting distracted by the razzle-dazzle and without breaking the bank balance.

An infographic for shopping the sales

And, if you’re still after some inspiration for what to buy, then I strongly suggest investing in classic items that will see you through year after year.   Savvy items, like tailored trousers, a new blazer, or a camel coat …

How will you be spending the sales this season?   Will you be following my guidelines or going all out?

1. December 26, 2017 / 7:40 pm

These are great tips as sometimes we forget what we still have and go on a spending spree. Thanks for sharing.

2. December 26, 2017 / 8:56 pm

I love the idea of the Sales but I don’t need anything and I spent all my money on Christmas presents!

3. December 26, 2017 / 11:01 pm

These are some really great tips for the sales – I must remember them myself!

4. December 26, 2017 / 11:07 pm

I am like you think year and definitely ignoring all the buggering in the mail box, I have however splashed on flights to 4 European destinations in the next 3 months and I am excited, £10 return for a flight, how can I miss that?

5. December 27, 2017 / 12:20 am

I think you are right to be wise with sale shopping. £30 flights to Stockholm…yes please!! 🙂 x

6. December 27, 2017 / 12:26 am

Im not really fussed on the sales. Cant be doing with all the crowds

7. December 27, 2017 / 9:41 am

The only thing we’re contemplating in the sales this year are some smart light bulbs to go with my husband’s new Amazon Echo. I never even thought about buying new clothes, lol!

8. Hannah denton
    December 27, 2017 / 12:50 pm

Such smart tips!!!! I adore the camel coat ❤️

Hope you had the best Christmas! Happy Sales shopping!

9. December 27, 2017 / 4:18 pm

I make a list in the sales of things I need and try not to stray from it, however if I see a cheap flight somewhere then I do!

10. December 27, 2017 / 7:26 pm

I’m definitely a list maker and I love the sales. Last year, I kitted my son out for the whole year including next Christmas clothes but no so such luck this year. I’m not sure why they started before Christmas though. Maybe if they sold things at a more reasonable price then people won’t wait for sales…

11. December 27, 2017 / 8:41 pm

I can’t abide shopping at the best of times and sale shopping seems 1000 times worse to me. I tend to avoid it because I usually end up panic buying rubbish. That said, last year I got a top for Christmas that I really liked, then found it online in a few other colours for £3 in the sale, it seemed rude not to buy a couple more 🙂

12. December 27, 2017 / 11:56 pm

I hardly ever buy anything for myself in the sales, I tend to get presents for the year ahead!

13. December 28, 2017 / 10:50 am

These are some really good tips 🙂 I’m saving up money and trying not to purchase anything from the sales unless I really need it x

14. December 28, 2017 / 3:14 pm

I think you’ve given very useful advice, especially with buying what you need. I tend to make a list of what I have and if I have a tee or item of clothing similar to one I’m going to buy I think twice!

15. December 28, 2017 / 5:22 pm

I’m trying to be good this year as I don’t need anything or have room for things so I’m trying to stay away from the sales completely so I don’t get tempted into buying things I really just don’t need!

16. December 29, 2017 / 9:37 pm

I was much better this year than I have been previously, two clothing sprees but I will no doubt be returning a lot and a limited edition Urban palette that was on sale

17. December 30, 2017 / 7:16 pm

This is good advice. I only really shop with a specific reason in mind, so that helps, and I agree about setting a budget so that you don’t go overboard!

18. December 30, 2017 / 7:19 pm

I do love the sales myself but I try not to waste my money x

19. January 1, 2018 / 11:49 am

I recently checked out this lingerie blog. And I appreciate this article, sale on clothing is really heartwarming for all women.