A Dog’s Life

A dog’s life. Working Cocker Spaniel Fergus tries out Catch, Grain free dog food from Pet Shop Bowl - a food subscription service to keep your doggie’s bowl full. And a little radiotherapy for Dog’s update.

It’s been a while since since I’ve done a little dog update and my social media has been swamped with people asking how my dear pooch is doing.

For those unaware, Fergus was diagnosed with a rare nasal tumour in October last year.  The tumour was eating away his nasal cartilage and threatening to push into his eye and/or brain.  Since then, Fergus has undergone a month of Radiotherapy at The Animal Health Trust in Newmarket and, thankfully, the prognosis is looking good.   Last week an MRI scan showed that the tumour was smaller and they expect it to continue to shrink over the next six month.  They’re even discussing surgery options which could give him a significantly prolonged time frame.

This is more than we could have hoped for as, on diagnosis, we feared he wouldn’t be with us come Christmas.   His fur has also started to grow back and he doesn’t seem to have lost the ginger eyebrows that we were told would grow back grey.   The ginger bits are Fergus’ trademark – although I’m sure he would still be just as adorable with grey bits instead of ginger.

Radiotherapy for dogs isn’t as awful as it sounds.   They use a much lower radiation dosage for dogs than they do humans and so the side effects are less severe.   They sedate the dogs to keep them still and direct a laser beam to the infected area.   This causes hair loss and some damage to the surrounding area.  For Fergus, this meant that his mouth got quite sore towards the end of his treatment and he was reluctant to eat hard food.  He was perfectly happy, however, with tinned tuna and salmon, mashed potato and chicken pieces.   Basically, any food that he could swallow without needing to chew.

Thankfully, this only lasted a week or two and he’s now back destroying whole chews in seconds.

He’s also being terribly spoilt; getting lots of walks and many, many, many treats.

Top of his list for treats are these oh-so-smelly Catch, Grain Free Salmon cookies.  They’re pungent, which in Fergus’ books means delicious.  They’re made from Salmon and potato and are high in protein and completely grain free.    He’s also been trying the Catch Salmon, trout and sweet potato dog food.  Both are available from PetShop.co.uk who offer a refillable bowl discount when you take their subscription service to have regular deliveries of your chosen food.

There are mixed thoughts on a grain free diet for dogs and, like humans, it suits some digestive systems more than others.   Fergus copes better with a little bit of grain in his diet so, when it comes to products like this, I tend to make sure to introduce them slowly to his diet, mixing with his existing food and adding some of his favourite substitutes like rice to the mix – he really is a spoilt puppy!

SHOP MY LOOK

Share:
The products mention in this post have been gifted for review by PetShop.co.uk.   All thoughts and opinions expressed remain true to my findings.

1. February 6, 2018 / 7:06 pm

It’s so tough seeing your dog suffer. Mine had cancer in her toe which was cut away and luckily meant she didn’t require any further treatment because they removed the full tumour at once. I hope your pup is feeling better soon. x

2. February 6, 2018 / 7:31 pm

I hope your dog is better soon, he reminds me of Flash who was my mother in laws dog. He was always such a little bundle of energy, on the go constantly!

3. February 6, 2018 / 7:44 pm

oh bless, such an adorable little face. Glad to hear that the radiation treatment wasn’t too bad for him. My children are always begging me to get a dog! 🙂 x

4. February 7, 2018 / 1:26 am

Oh my goodness poor Fergus and you! I am so glad the treatment seems to be working for him *fingers crossed* it keeps on going in the right direction.

5. February 7, 2018 / 9:53 am

I am so glad that he’s doing well and the tumour has gone down in size, you must be so happy x

6. February 7, 2018 / 4:00 pm

Awww poor pooch. Hopefully the treatment is working and he is on the mend soon

7. February 7, 2018 / 8:57 pm

Such a cute dog and amazing name, I pray that your dog is not in a lot of pain. I wouldn’t know what to do if my cats were in pain. Praying for him 🙏🏼

8. February 8, 2018 / 12:04 am

Aww he’s such a gorgeous dog, poor thing. I’m so glad the treatment seems to be working for him xx

9. February 8, 2018 / 7:32 am

I’m so glad that Fergus is doing better, he is such a lovely looking dog x

10. February 8, 2018 / 10:07 am

Oh poor baby, I’m glad the treatment is going well – I’d definitely be spoiling him, just look at those eyes!

11. February 8, 2018 / 10:55 am

Poor Fergus! Glad the Radiotherapy seemed to work ok and he’s nearly back to his old self x Lots of treats for him x

12. February 8, 2018 / 12:29 pm

Ohh he looks adorable, we hope he gets better soon especially with the treatment which he is receiving. He looks so loved as well. Love to the both of you.

13. February 8, 2018 / 1:13 pm

He sounds like he’s been through a lot bless him and certainly deserves those yummy treats.I’ve recently lost a couple of pets and its heartbreaking. Make the most of the time you have and enjoy every moment.

14. February 8, 2018 / 6:13 pm

I am so glad to hear this update on Fergus! It is good to see those Ginger eyebrows!
    We have just had to go grain free with Theodore as he was getting hot spots and gnawing and scratching so badly. It seems to have done the trick so far!

15. Dannii
    February 9, 2018 / 10:37 am

Awwh I’m so glad the treatment is working well. It’s so hard seeing your pets suffer isn’t it.

16. Jess
    February 9, 2018 / 1:27 pm

Oh my good gosh what a little fighter and hats off to you for getting this pup the care he needed. Good to hear he’s back on more solid food again too. Sending heaps of love and good vibez.

17. chichi
    February 10, 2018 / 6:51 am

I am glad your pup is doing better, the grain free salmon cookies sound delicious wound recommend my friends with dogs!

18. February 13, 2018 / 6:34 pm

Awwww. Fergus is such a cutie. I’m sorry that he was poorly, but hope he continues to get better.

19. February 15, 2018 / 10:51 am

Oh bless him, Fergus sounds like such a fighter!

20. February 15, 2018 / 3:49 pm

This is such a wonderful dog. I am sure he will be strong and gets better so soon.