Style Icons

Style Icons

Originality has never really been my thing.   I’m like a sponge; forever inspired by those around me and my style icons are legion!

As a teenager my fashion inspiration came from my favourite indie rock bands – all military jackets and 70s dresses with a box cut fringe and chin-length bob.  In fact, I think I’m reverting back to that look now!

In recent years, my fashion has been inspired by the bloggers around me.  Until recently, I would say that so much of my style has been influenced by this tribe of women who encourage me to experiment with my style.   I’ve written about this many times before, celebrating the women who have opened my eyes to a whole new work of plus size fashion and body confidence as well as those who aren’t plus, yet provoke me to be more experimental in my style.

Yet a recent discovery led me to realise that there are more factors influencing my style than I had first thought.  Sorting through family photos reminded me of moments that changed my outlook on style.

Today, I’d like to share some of those moments with you.

Style Icons: vintage and retro style inspiration

Style Icons: vintage and retro style inspiration

Style Icons: vintage and retro style inspiration

Style Icons: vintage and retro style inspiration

Style Icons: vintage and retro style inspiration

Style Icons: vintage and retro style inspiration

In fact, my mother is perhaps my biggest style influence.   This seems strange when we don’t see always see eye-to-eye when it comes to fashion.   If only we both had a penny for every argument we have in Tammy girl …

Yet, as I’m well into my mid-20s, I’ve realised that we have a certain style all our own.   The untameable hair, the easy breezy attitude to style, the want for both comfort and something a little out of the ordinary.

In fact, when I put the image at the top of this post on my Instagram stories, I was flooded by comments of the picture being of me.   You see, I live in the outfit she’s wearing there; the sneakers, high waited denim and white tee.   And in a way, that image is me – because she made me in the most literal sense of the word as well as figuratively.

In fact, all these beautiful, remarkable, fierce and stylish women made me!

Who are your style icons?   And how have they shaped you?

SaveSaveSaveSave

SaveSaveSaveSave

1. February 20, 2018 / 10:25 am

I think its lovely that your style icons are family members. My mum use to wear some awesome clothing when she was younger that I’d kill for. Although there were some questionable ones too.

2. February 20, 2018 / 12:44 pm

You have some great family photos! Love that your mum had a white leather wedding dress.

3. February 20, 2018 / 1:10 pm

Those photos are beautiful. I can understand why these family members are such style icons for you! I love to look at photos of my mum particularly in her 60s and 70s clothes! I also love pics of my grandmother (who I sadly never met) but wore some amazing clothes in the 40s which I would definitely wear today!

4. February 20, 2018 / 8:00 pm

I loved reading this, I think its lovely how we can look back a old pictures and discover the fantastic clothes that our families wore

5. February 20, 2018 / 10:23 pm

Ahh I love this! What great photos of your family and I love that you look to them as style icons. Loved this!

6. February 20, 2018 / 10:43 pm

Such a wonderful post to read, you have a fabulous family, each bestowing upon you their legacy of fashion and love for style. Now I know where you get your talent and love for fashion from.

7. February 20, 2018 / 11:15 pm

Oh wow how many stylish ladies do you have in your family! How lovely to be able to take influences from them within your own style.

8. February 21, 2018 / 10:00 am

I think it’s lovely that your family have influenced your style. I don’t see eye to eye on fashion with my mum but I do feel as I’ve gotten a bit older I realise that we do like a lot of the same things x

9. Jemma
    February 21, 2018 / 12:07 pm

Wow! So many beautiful and glamorous women in your family. The photos are just lovely and I like that they’re all style icons for you.

10. February 21, 2018 / 12:40 pm

What a fashionable family you have! It’s so nice that your own family can be your style icons and what a great collection of photographs.

11. Angela Ricardo Bethea
    February 21, 2018 / 1:44 pm

Oh, those are some beautiful old photos of your family. and your mom’s softest white leather gown looks pretty awesome. She is so gorgeous wearing her gown.

12. February 21, 2018 / 2:51 pm

Whatstylish family members you have! I’ve seen pictures of my mum in the 60’s and love how ‘cool’ she was. It’s a great way to see how fashion has evolved

13. February 22, 2018 / 7:41 am

My Auntie Deanna is my ultimate style icon. I can remember being as young as three and being in awe of her beautiful curls, bold lipstick and flawless yet everyday style. She is still to this day the most glamorous woman I know x

14. February 22, 2018 / 10:45 am

This is just the cutest post. What a beautiful family you have and i adore the fact that the ladies are your style icons 🙂 x

15. Dannii
    February 22, 2018 / 10:52 am

What lovely family photos. I must say, I am not really influenced by anything. My “style” is just comfy and functional.

16. February 22, 2018 / 1:57 pm

I am loving this post! It’s funny that you sort of realise where your inspirations come from when you look back at old photos. My Mum is my style icon for sure.

17. February 23, 2018 / 11:19 am

Its lovely that you have so many memories of your aunt and family and to take inspiration from them is lovely. The ladies are definitely beautiful nad have great dress sense.