Summer Skincare

Summer Skincare

If we take away sun, ice cream, picnics, beach days, long country dog walks, BBQs and boat trips, my favourite thing about summer is that it allows for such a minimalistic skincare and make up regime.

I have, and always will be, minimal with my skincare and makeup. But there is something about the summer that allows me to strip my usual routine back either further.    The sun drenches my skin in vitamin D and my freckles come out in force; I drink more water in the summer; I eat more fruit and less carbs; I spend more time outdoors and switch from wine to gin.   I think this means that my skin is clearer during summer and so needs less care and maintenance.

Summer Skincare & Plus Size Summer Style with Navabi

Shop My Look

Now I will admit that I blessed with relatively good skin.

I get a monthly blemish, usually somewhere on my chin.   It appears a week before my period and normally take at least a week to abate.

I also suffer from eczema.   It is not immediately obvious as I treat it with almond oil (raw or essential is best) and hydrocortisone cream but if I miss a day of this treatment it spreads quite rapidly.   As with most eczema, it sit in the folds of my skin; the crows feet around my eyes and at the edges of my lips.    Although the eczema doesn’t look dreadful, it is quite painful and definitely irritates.

In terms of my other skin care, I am excessively basic; a Source of Nature face wash from Sainsburys to give my face a quick clean; a cucumber cleanser from YesTo to leave my face feeling sparkly fresh;  a neutral moisturise (something unperformed) to give my skin a quick drenching – my favourites are Sainsburys’ Source of Nature Night Cream and Burts Bees Day lotion with its essential SPF coverage.

I also cannot live without a lip moisturiser.   I feel like my lips are always dry and sore.   I try to keep on top of this by carrying a lip balm everywhere with me.   My old faithful Burts Bees has seen me through many years but lately I’ve switched to a home made remedy, cooked up by sister-in-law for her dog.  Its a natural blend of beeswax, cocoa butter, coconut oil, and evening primrose.   I know its meant for dogs but it makes my skin feel so perfect – poor pooch doesn’t get a look in!

Summer Skincare & Plus Size Summer Style with Navabi

As with my skincare, my summer make up is basic to say the least. A splash of mascara, some bronzer (if I’m feeling fancy), and a little highlighter drawn straight down my nose and tracing just below my eyebrows.  Of course, lipstick is a must for those days when I want to be a little extra special!

My favourite brand is Pixi.  It is cruelty free, simple in its packaging, and super easy to use.

On evenings, if wanting a little fuller coverage then I swear by the Charlotte Tilbury Healthy Glow. It adapts to your natural complexion and gives a soft, dewy glow to your skin without feeling too heavy or clogged.

Shop My Skincare

1. Chloe
    June 3, 2018 / 11:18 pm

I’ve been waiting for this post! You always have such lovely skin.

2. June 13, 2018 / 4:16 pm

I don’t wear that much make up through summer, just for special occasions. I normally just use a tinted moisturiser and my trusty lip balms go everywhere with me

3. June 13, 2018 / 8:00 pm

You have gorgeous skin! I’m suffering from breakouts recently and need to find something that will calm it down!

4. June 13, 2018 / 8:13 pm

Your skin looks great without make up on so you’re lucky, mine goes really blotchy so I almost always have to wear some sort of base on my face x

5. June 13, 2018 / 8:35 pm

You have amazing skin, I adore your freckles! I don’t wear any make up other than mascara and so through the summer I love having a natural glow and my skin just feels healthier and more moisturised somehow!

6. June 14, 2018 / 3:01 am

I love that you’re going natural by using a DIY blend. It’s really good for our skin! I keep the make up at a minimum during the summer as well. It’s good to use as little products as possible because the sun can be especially harsh.

7. June 14, 2018 / 9:54 am

I keep my makeup rather minimal over the summer, but I try to invest in really good skin care to give it a boost.

8. June 14, 2018 / 12:39 pm

I am with you on the lip balm front – I always need one as I get super dry lips. Burt’s Bees is a fave of mine too 🙂

9. June 15, 2018 / 11:24 am

You have amazing looking skin and look stunning with hardly any make up on, totally love Pixi as well as we support cruelty free products.

10. June 15, 2018 / 12:03 pm

My mummy is the same and loves summer for a more relaxed look. She’s minimal with her skincare and makeup most of the year and loves stripping it back further as her skin always seems clearer in the summer months x

11. June 15, 2018 / 3:55 pm

What a great selection of products. Your skin always looks amazing and im a huge Pixi fan as well 🙂

12. June 19, 2018 / 7:51 am

You have gorgeous skin. I’m so jealous! I’m battling with wrinkles at the mo, which is annoying. I’m only 33!!

Louise x