Laughter Lines

Laughter Lines

I’ve just moved into the final year of my twenties and, on realising that I am not only ageing but that I will be thirty next year, I also realised that I’ve got laughter lines!   My eyes are starting to show creases in their corners and beneath my lash line.

I will be honest, I had a moment of dilemma!   Surely I’m not old enough for wrinkles.   Oh my gosh, what is happening?  I must have one foot in the grave already!

And then I took a big long look in the mirror and thought, why do a few creases around the eyes bother me?

Laughter Lines - reaching the end of your twenties and resisting the urge to say young forever

The obvious answer to this is SOCIETY.

We are constantly told that growing older is wrong and something to be ashamed of.  We’re fed marketing line after marketing line on how to look younger for longer, with creams designed to reduce the signs of aging and to make skin firmer with less wrinkles.  Even Dove’s seemingly age-positive range ‘Pro-Age‘ offers to revitalise ageing hair and leave it thicker and stronger – read, more youthful. Hair dyes are marketed as hiding grey hairs and botox is now a common beauty therapy instead of an advance medical procedure.   We are bombarded with messages that we need to stop looking older!

But really, what is wrong with growing older?  It is a natural part of life – we grow, we change and evolve.   It is true for our personalities, our likes and dislikes, our appearance.   So why be ashamed of something that we all go through?

Laughter Lines - reaching the end of your twenties, ageing, and resisting the urge to say young forever

Once over the initial shock of ‘I’m ageing’, I realised that it isn’t such a bad thing.   Sure I have laughter lines but aren’t they a sign of joy?  Of a life, so far, well lived?

And isn’t ageing an opportunity?

My Mother once told me that life beings at 30.  Then, when she turned 40, that life begins at 40.  Then she got divorced and claims that life begins after divorce.   I like her mentality – life begins – always!

So I have another year until I’m 30 and, as much as I’d love to give you a before 30 bucket list, I’m not going to.  And that is for the simple reason that I’m not going to see turning 30 as a milestone, just a continuation of my life as it is.   Okay – I’m probably going to have a party or a holiday (preferably both) but, really, I would take any excuse for that!

But I’m not going to rush to get anything done before reaching that age – after all, me and my laughter lines have the rest of our lives to achieve things, see places, jump out of planes (not really going to happen), make friends, fall out with friends, learnt to love celery (again, probably not going to happen), and buy a house (lol).

Shop My Look

Share:

1. June 30, 2018 / 7:59 pm

I have these thoughts about my whole body, not just my face! I like that I’m ageing, I think I’d be really worried if I wasn’t 🙂

2. June 30, 2018 / 8:38 pm

I’m younger than you and I have squint lines and frown lines… I’m not grumpy haha, just short-sighted!

3. July 1, 2018 / 8:43 am

I totally agree with you, I turn 30 in about 18 months and as long as I am happy with how I look and feel I don’t care if I look like I’m aging. And laughter lines are positive as they show you’re a happy person x

4. Hannah
    July 1, 2018 / 8:17 pm

I have these and its freaking me out. Ive been trying to get rid of these for a while. Even been wanting botox

5. July 1, 2018 / 9:47 pm

I love what your mum’s way of thinking too life is always beginning. I see laughter lines/wrinkles and stretch marks as tales and signs that you have lived, only dolls in a box stay perfect.

6. July 2, 2018 / 10:47 am

I’m turning 30 next year and I’m not trying to make too big a deal of it either – just another year, right?!

7. July 2, 2018 / 11:09 am

I am embracing ageing and trying to not get caught up in thinking too much about it x

8. July 2, 2018 / 5:42 pm

Your mum has got it spot on! Live begins all the time and that’s such an important thing to remember. That being said, do enjoy the last years of your 20s…30s is going to be even more fabulous.

9. July 2, 2018 / 6:05 pm

Lines like this show just what a lovely and happy person you are. I for one would be so proud that you have the, your smile is gorgeous. Also age is just a number it’s how you feel that’s the most important.

10. July 2, 2018 / 6:06 pm

Lines like this show just what a lovely and happy person you are. I for one would be so proud that you have the, your smile is gorgeous. I wouldn’t worry about age after all it’s the life we lead that makes it matter the most.

11. July 3, 2018 / 9:57 am

Moving into my 30’s wasn’t half as bad as I was expecting it to be. You’ll be fine 🙂 I do wish I could stop wrinkles appearing though. That’s the one thing that annoys me LOL

Louise x

12. July 3, 2018 / 10:19 am

I love that mentality- life always begins! I have ton of laughter lines and concerned you don’t like celery- give it another try!!!

13. July 4, 2018 / 3:43 pm

To be honest I didn’t really notice I was ageing until my 40’s and sometimes I look in the mirror and don’t recognise the reflection. It is something that happens to us all though

14. July 5, 2018 / 7:53 am

You have a really positive mental attitude Charlie, I like it. I just wish more people (myself included) were more content with just letting the ageing process happen x