Autumn Blazers

Charli wears a chequered blazer and red dress with a chunky knit scarf whilst standing in front of an English country pub.

Autumn blazers. They’re a staple in my wardrobe. Perfect for layering with the power to transform any outfit. A good blazer isn’t just for the office but is a wardrobe essential for the colder months of the year.

It would be true to say that jumpers play centre stage in my autumnal wardrobe. And if that is true, then it is just as true to say that a blazer is the icing on my cake.

In fact, they are such a loved item, that they’re my most purchased and most lusted after. There are five blazers in my wardrobe. That outnumbers even t-shirts. From the longline-checkered jacket, to the second-hand men’s tweed, and the cropped military jacket – they’re all loved, cherished and worn to death!

My favourite blazer, if pushed, is the most opulent of the bunch. A luxurious velvet item in deepest burgundy. It is oversized and longline, skimming my bum cheeks and squaring off my shoulders. As a big woman, it took me a very long time to fall in love with the oversized look. We’re conditioned, as women, to make ourselves smaller – more delicate, more conventionally feminine.

I can’t tell you how I went about over coming that conditioning. It was simply a light bulb moment when feeling the cold and needing to steal my husband’s jacket. I felt a million dollars in the oversized tweed. I have not looked back since. But there are some simple rules that I follow when wearing an oversized blazer that helps me blend the oversized with my own kind of femininity.

How to wear an oversized blazer

Keep at least one of the layers underneath the blazer streamlined. A body con dress, skinny trousers, or a slim fitted polo neck work perfectly beneath oversized outerwear.

Define your waist. High-waisted trousers or skirts with a tucked in top or a skinny belt in a contrasting colour creates a break in your outfit and helps retain a feminine silhouette. Of course, this is only if you want to blend the mix of traditional masculine and feminine shapes like I do!

Let the blazer do the talking. I stick to a fairly monotone colour palette beneath an oversized blazer. This means that the outerwear if the main focal point of your outfit. After all, go bold or don’t bother at all.

My Oversized Edit

AD – Affiliate Link. The following section contains post contains shoppable widgets with affiliate links. These allow me to make a small percentage of the money you spend through these links. It does not affect the price for you.

With five blazers in my wardrobe, I have no need of another this autumn/winter. That doesn’t stop me looking though. These are my favourites.

Autumn Blazer Edit
Autumn Blazer Edit

Will you be going oversized this autumn?

1. Emily
    October 31, 2019 / 12:31 pm

I live in jumpers but never thought to try blazers after reading this tho I might just go and buy a few

2. October 31, 2019 / 9:47 pm

I can’t remember the last time I bought myself a new blazer. The tweet pattern is my favourite here!

3. October 31, 2019 / 9:53 pm

I’m actually looking for one now. This is a great edit. Love the black and white checkered one. Plus love that it hides a multitude of sins.

4. November 1, 2019 / 8:38 am

I’ve always loved velvet even when it was out of fashion – so I’m very glad to see its come back.

5. November 1, 2019 / 8:54 am

I used to wear blazers all the time but stopped (have no idea why) – I love this on you – will have to see if I can find one for me now

6. MELANIE EDJOURIAN
    November 1, 2019 / 12:08 pm

I’ve never actually worn a blazer myself. I think your styling suggestions are great and would work well. I like your suggestions for blazers especially the ASOS DESIGN premium checked drawstring blazer. That one looks lovely.

7. November 1, 2019 / 12:35 pm

I recently bought a navy blazer which I love, although it feels a little safe in colour, there was also a mustard one which I think I need to go back and purchase

8. Rhian Westbury
    November 1, 2019 / 1:39 pm

I really want to get a blazer for Autumn but I’d want one with cropped sleeves as I find I get too warm in full length sleeves anytime of the year x

9. November 1, 2019 / 3:26 pm

I definitely need a get an oversized blazer in my wardrobe – I used to live in blazers when I was younger! These are all lovely suggestions

10. November 2, 2019 / 9:53 pm

I’ve never worn a blazer before but think I should give one a go and love the idea of an opulent velvet one.

11. November 3, 2019 / 9:55 pm

That’s a lovely selection of blazers. I love wearing them as you can style an outfit by just adding a different blazer to get a new look.

12. November 5, 2019 / 1:25 pm

I don’t like to go oversized as it just doesn’t suit my shape, but I do love blazers! They can smarten up an outfit so quickly.

13. November 5, 2019 / 1:43 pm

They’re not an item I’ve ever worn, but I always think they look incredibly stylish and chic. I might invest in one for autumn/winter, I do like the look of the velvet one!